December 30, 2006

Why having processing power wasted ?

I don't know about you, but seeing unused hardware troubles me. Doesn't matter if it's an old 386 desktop or a 8 years old Compaq Proliant 7000 which I've recently acquired.

Hardware is always fun to set up, see it running and play around with. Folklore about 100s refurbished Pentium's making up a cluster in a garage fascinates me. I do realize that a single modern server will eat that hundred for breakfast, but still, wouldn't that be fun, running that garage ?

And so, my working PC and the servers that are in testing or spare, are normally loaded up high most of the time, doing what - running workload tests of course ! Right now I'm leaving it running a stress test for Pythomnic, specifically its new capabilities of distributed transactions with recovery. The test will be running for a few days now, and I hope when I return from holidays it's still up and running.

No comments: